When new flowers come
When new flowers come
From long ago sown seeds
Or a certain bulb that I put in the earth
Long back, which didn't then flower
Or a plant or a tree that grew for long and never
A bud of colour came forth,
My heart leaps in an unimaginable delight
For there is hope still,
For there is hope that
Though there are many, many dreams
And efforts that have been put into scores of sides
Of work, of long years lost in meanderings of the mind
Of long winding pathways that I trudged alone
(Interspersed by footfalls of another but for a moment)
Those pathless pathways will still someday
Bring me to another clearing,
Another clean, crystal clear fountain of life
And there would be flowers again
When new flowers come
Those seeds or bulbs long forgotten
That lay in the womb of the earth so long
Erupt into songs I never thought they would sing
Though when I planted them, I had hoped for
I learn that throats may take a little long to tune
Songs may take awhile to be written
But someday those songs will really burst forth
I saw it today, like so many times more
As another stalk of Narcissus
Grew out of one of the pots
When I had given up on it so long back
Only to fill me with that wordless joy
That with feeble words I now try to capture
That full-bodied stalk of tuberose-
The new flowers that have come.
This season.
(Upon sighting the first stalk of Tuberose in my home after years of planting it)
From long ago sown seeds
Or a certain bulb that I put in the earth
Long back, which didn't then flower
Or a plant or a tree that grew for long and never
A bud of colour came forth,
My heart leaps in an unimaginable delight
For there is hope still,
For there is hope that
Though there are many, many dreams
And efforts that have been put into scores of sides
Of work, of long years lost in meanderings of the mind
Of long winding pathways that I trudged alone
(Interspersed by footfalls of another but for a moment)
Those pathless pathways will still someday
Bring me to another clearing,
Another clean, crystal clear fountain of life
And there would be flowers again
When new flowers come
Those seeds or bulbs long forgotten
That lay in the womb of the earth so long
Erupt into songs I never thought they would sing
Though when I planted them, I had hoped for
I learn that throats may take a little long to tune
Songs may take awhile to be written
But someday those songs will really burst forth
I saw it today, like so many times more
As another stalk of Narcissus
Grew out of one of the pots
When I had given up on it so long back
Only to fill me with that wordless joy
That with feeble words I now try to capture
That full-bodied stalk of tuberose-
The new flowers that have come.
This season.
(Upon sighting the first stalk of Tuberose in my home after years of planting it)
Comments