8th July 2013- A RED letter day
Finally the Faiz CD got recorded- after a very long and difficult journey, filled with so much illness, and my throat which simply did not get into shape for at least six months.
It was a day replete with extreme physical pressure. I went to Ghaziabad to record and reached there at 11am and was in the studio till 8 recording and then another hour generally chatting around.
I have never had it so tough. This CD is the longest in making, with the final recording being done at least four times!! At last it had to be Arun's presence and his handiwork to get the act together. So now he will do the mixing and the balancing all by himself too.
I still will sing Faiz who reminds the world about judgement day. The meaning of darbar-e-watan finally stands unveiled. Darbar-e-watan is written of the Kingdom of God, not any political one determined by a country actually and it talks of Judgement Day. So I am the voice who had to deliver the message finally. Got the message now- first myself. This was the inquilab, the revolution that was awaited and me the harbinger of change. Not a harbinger.
Funniily enough till my own mind become clearer I thought Faiz was referring to 'watan' in the sense of a nation-state of the modern political sense. Only after I sang it many times and then some other day, in an uncorrelated manner, wrote my own poem in which I talk about creating an army for peace- did the idea click! I said, Oh goodness, Faiz was not talking of any judgement day in the context of his country, because he was known as a spiritual poet who loved his country, as i do too, both as poets too. So then the picture came a full circle and I saw the continuity in both our ideas.
That is why I also feel that as a poet when I completely resonate with the poetry of another poet and I articulate it, it is not just a singer or a musician rendering something in a musical way by virtue of their musical training- I am a poet who is evoking the soul of another's poetry through my own soul. I love darbar-e-watan so much from the first day I composed it. I think it was April 2012 or May, and I am so relieved to hear the final version of it after so much hardwork. It is time to now wait for resonances from others
It was a day replete with extreme physical pressure. I went to Ghaziabad to record and reached there at 11am and was in the studio till 8 recording and then another hour generally chatting around.
I have never had it so tough. This CD is the longest in making, with the final recording being done at least four times!! At last it had to be Arun's presence and his handiwork to get the act together. So now he will do the mixing and the balancing all by himself too.
I still will sing Faiz who reminds the world about judgement day. The meaning of darbar-e-watan finally stands unveiled. Darbar-e-watan is written of the Kingdom of God, not any political one determined by a country actually and it talks of Judgement Day. So I am the voice who had to deliver the message finally. Got the message now- first myself. This was the inquilab, the revolution that was awaited and me the harbinger of change. Not a harbinger.
Funniily enough till my own mind become clearer I thought Faiz was referring to 'watan' in the sense of a nation-state of the modern political sense. Only after I sang it many times and then some other day, in an uncorrelated manner, wrote my own poem in which I talk about creating an army for peace- did the idea click! I said, Oh goodness, Faiz was not talking of any judgement day in the context of his country, because he was known as a spiritual poet who loved his country, as i do too, both as poets too. So then the picture came a full circle and I saw the continuity in both our ideas.
That is why I also feel that as a poet when I completely resonate with the poetry of another poet and I articulate it, it is not just a singer or a musician rendering something in a musical way by virtue of their musical training- I am a poet who is evoking the soul of another's poetry through my own soul. I love darbar-e-watan so much from the first day I composed it. I think it was April 2012 or May, and I am so relieved to hear the final version of it after so much hardwork. It is time to now wait for resonances from others
Comments