Your Peace, My Peace- 12th july 2013
When you make peace, you pick up a gun
When you make peace, 'tis condition(s)
Are laid by none
But you-
When you say peace armies march ahead
When you say peace 'tis war you spread
Tis death you bring, 'tis the savage,
The primeval hunter you provoke
Who kills merciless,
Who rapes shamelessly- the earth and its women
Your idea of peace does not spread
In any heart, a solitary ray of hope
Your idea of peace brings forth diminished souls
Extinguished dreams and smothered joys-
When you say peace
You forget, war is not its way
When you say peace
You don't say with a gun pointed at someone's temple
When you sign for peace
Tis not just for the politician,
Or the rich in their fortress
But for the child, the man, the woman
The beast, the birds and the trees too
On the streets, in their homes, in their jungles, in their skies
Everywhere, where they be- at the same time, at once
(2)
For long now
I have heard your paeans of peace
Packaged as missions, commissions and delegations
So now, no more
Your's, but I want my idea of peace
So that
When I say peace
It is not just a slogan
The pen would be its way, not gun
It will not mean a safe haven
For the rich'n who really are small and craven
It won't stand on a base specious
When I say peace
It would not exclude
The majority of the world from it
And save some ears, eyes and appetites
From smothered cries 'n screaming innocents dying
For I mean peace
For a whole nation called makind
My 'man' not just the human
But every form that breathes, multiplies
For if they say that man
Of all is 'highest' in certain ways
(though I do not accept this view)
Then surely the 'highest' man
The pinnacle of god's creation
Would think of all that god has creaeted-
'N guns, languages, religions and national boundaries
Were no part of it.
I, a knower of God's idea,
Messenger of his Word
Bring this message to thee-
From a time called Eternity.
'N I reject your ideas of peace
For I break this silence now
To set this thought free-
Awaiting echoes
Awaiting resonances, songs and cries
That awaited Me.
The 'Shantidoot'
Once again come.
When you make peace, 'tis condition(s)
Are laid by none
But you-
When you say peace armies march ahead
When you say peace 'tis war you spread
Tis death you bring, 'tis the savage,
The primeval hunter you provoke
Who kills merciless,
Who rapes shamelessly- the earth and its women
Your idea of peace does not spread
In any heart, a solitary ray of hope
Your idea of peace brings forth diminished souls
Extinguished dreams and smothered joys-
When you say peace
You forget, war is not its way
When you say peace
You don't say with a gun pointed at someone's temple
When you sign for peace
Tis not just for the politician,
Or the rich in their fortress
But for the child, the man, the woman
The beast, the birds and the trees too
On the streets, in their homes, in their jungles, in their skies
Everywhere, where they be- at the same time, at once
(2)
For long now
I have heard your paeans of peace
Packaged as missions, commissions and delegations
So now, no more
Your's, but I want my idea of peace
So that
When I say peace
It is not just a slogan
The pen would be its way, not gun
It will not mean a safe haven
For the rich'n who really are small and craven
It won't stand on a base specious
When I say peace
It would not exclude
The majority of the world from it
And save some ears, eyes and appetites
From smothered cries 'n screaming innocents dying
For I mean peace
For a whole nation called makind
My 'man' not just the human
But every form that breathes, multiplies
For if they say that man
Of all is 'highest' in certain ways
(though I do not accept this view)
Then surely the 'highest' man
The pinnacle of god's creation
Would think of all that god has creaeted-
'N guns, languages, religions and national boundaries
Were no part of it.
I, a knower of God's idea,
Messenger of his Word
Bring this message to thee-
From a time called Eternity.
'N I reject your ideas of peace
For I break this silence now
To set this thought free-
Awaiting echoes
Awaiting resonances, songs and cries
That awaited Me.
The 'Shantidoot'
Once again come.
Comments